Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Happy Holidays: Belated Thanksgiving Cheer


I realize that this is my second Thanksgiving-related post, but I just couldn't help myself. This past Turkey Day surprised me by ranking up there with one of the best that I have ever had.

In the days leading up to Thanksgiving, I fully anticipated being completely miserable on the day, locking myself in my apartment and crying over Skype. The holiday is always very special because it is a really big deal for my family and me, so I figured I would be feeling quite homesick on my first Thanksgiving away from them-- especially since I'm living in a land where no one really even cares that some pilgrims once sat down to eat with some Native American Indians (I know, weird, right? :P).

However, when I woke up last Thursday, I felt immediately happy and thankful, just like I had on every other Thanksgiving for the past 22 years. At work, one of my coworkers even commented on how excessively smiley and chipper I was. I simply sang back in my very happiest happy-Mary voice, "That's because it's Thanksgiving!"

After school I came home to shower and watch "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" before heading to a potluck dinner some American friends of mine were hosting. I went over to their place early and got to assist with setting up, laying the table and preparing mashed potatoes, salad, and deviled eggs-- which made me much happier than it probably should have, but it just felt like such a wonderfully homey and festive thing to be doing. The group ended up bringing together an amazing spread, which included blackberry merlot and pumpkin pie for desert. We all ate way too much, and I had a lot of fun explaining to my Korean and South African friends what Thanksgiving was like for me at home.

Then, the next morning, I got to wake up knowing that it was still Thanksgiving in the US. So lucky me got to celebrate for 36 hours instead of 24! It was a seriously great feeling :)

And, on top of everything, I still had SUNDAY to look forward to. A church that a friend of mine attends hosted a traditional, good ole' fashioned American Thanksgiving dinner that night at Yongsan Army base in Seoul. Stepping on to the base, I actually felt like I had been transported home to the US for the evening. This second Thanksgiving dinner supplied everything that my first had been missing-- namely turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce. Plus, it allowed me to celebrate Thanksgiving with yet another great group of people, which was pretty special too.

The Army base was decorated in true American fashion with tons of twinkly lights, Santas, and giant Christmas trees-- so what better place to pose for a holiday card style photo? Below is a picture of our group, contentedly stuffed to the brim with turkey and dressing, putting on our best smiles of holiday cheer for YOU, dear family and friends!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,
With Love From South Korea!

No comments:

Post a Comment