Saturday, December 5, 2009

Expat Christmastime Slump


Anyone who is remotely acquainted with me will know that I am OBSESSED with Christmastime. From November until January, I am most likely to be found wandering the streets with a giant smile on my face and Starbucks seasonal drink in hand, looking for presents and humming, "It's the most wonderful time of the year." Possibly while wearing a sweater with some type of Christmas character on it.

There is not much that can kill my mood around Christmastime. It is a period of anticipation, hope, generosity, and love, and it just makes me feel so inexplicably and uncontainably joyful. And, fortunately, despite being so far from home, the approach of this particular Christmas has been no exception. Just last night, I got to go to my first Korean Christmas play (All in Korean! And I could actually understand a good bit of it!), and it really took my level of excitement for my first Christmas in Korea up a few notches.

This season is not such a joyful time for all expats in Korea, though. In just the past few weeks, a number of foreign friends that I see on a fairly regular basis have informed me that they have put in their job notices early and will be leaving Korea by the new year. For many foreign English teachers in Korea, this time of year, rather than being cause for celebration, is instead the culmination of a long and stressful semester of failed expectations, culture shock, and mistreatment. And many decide that they can't, or simply don't want to, deal with it any longer.

As I myself contemplate the possibility of staying in Korea for another year, I can't help but reflect on the transient nature of life here, and the fact that if I do make the choice to stay-- as my friends who have already been here for a number of years will attest-- I will have to become very good at saying goodbye.

That is definitely not a skill that I look forward to developing.

No comments:

Post a Comment