Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Keeping Warm


My favorite time of year has always been fall. I love the beautiful colors, the falling leaves, and that perfect middle ground where you can go out feeling perfectly content in nothing more than a long-sleeved t-shirt and your favorite pair of jeans. And fall in Korea, with its lovely mountains and high blue skies, has more than fulfilled my expectations.

The only trouble is that it hasn't lasted. We seem to have moved from balmy, humid summertime weather to snow flurries and down jackets in just a matter of a few short weeks. And with such a rapid descent into cold winter days, there has also come the temptation to become a little less energetic and just a little more pessimistic.

Luckily, however, I have been able to find a few fail-proof ways of keeping myself warm-- both inside and out-- as I transition into what is sure to be a long and chilly winter here in Korea.

1. Ondol

Ondol is Korea's unique underfloor heating system-- such a GREAT idea. It evolved from the millenia-old practice of heating the stone beneath the home in order to keep warm during winter. Thanks to ondol heating, rather than dreading getting out of bed and putting my feet down on the hardwood floor every morning, I actually look forward to the opportunity to make my toes all warm and toasty. It's so cozy that sometimes I'm even kind of tempted to get rid of my bed and sleep on the floor, traditional Korean style. (Well, I said kind of...)

2. Teatime

For some reason, even though it is freezing outside, my school insists on keeping all of the doors and windows in the hallway open at all times. So, despite the fact that I keep the heater in my classroom on full blast, the students still come in wearing coats and bundled in blankets, pouting "Teacher, cooolduhh!" Thus, the best part of my work day has become returning to my office right after lunch and being greeted by a steaming pot of Chinese tea. One of the older English teachers-- she is one of those sweet and precious women who act as a mother towards everyone-- serves tea to a few of my co-teachers and me, and we all spend a few minutes warming up and chatting. The tea and the company both warm my insides, giving me the extra little boost I need to get through my afternoon classes.

3. Christmas-y-ness

One great side-effect of it becoming cold so quickly and early here is that it puts me in the mood early for all things Christmas, and just thinking about the Christmas season makes me completely, inexplicably and absurdly happy-- I never tire of Christmas music and can watch Love Actually, A Christmas Carol, and A Charlie Brown Christmas endlessly. Getting into the spirit and preparing for the holiday that celebrates the birth of Christ is a surefire way to keep me warm and happy even in the bitterest cold.

4. Book Club

I absolutely love getting lost in the pages of a new book. Few things make me happier than curling up with a good long book and a warm cup of tea on a cold winter day. And meeting with friends to be able to talk about what I've read is like icing on the cake... or, in better keeping with the theme of this post, whipped cream topping on a mug of steamy hot chocolate. Every Monday night for about a month now, three other foreign teachers and I have met up for Dak Galbi (a yummy spicy pan-fried chicken dish that never fails to warm us up and clear out our sinuses) before heading to Starbucks or another nearby coffee shop for hot drinks and discussion. We get into some really interesting topics, and those once dreaded Mondays have become much more bearable, knowing that I have book club to look forward to at the end of the day.

5. Playing in the park and other fun adventures

Because of my arthritis, it is particularly important for me to get out and move around during the winter months-- if I don't, I will turn into one very stiff, sore and cranky girl. During the week this means taking regular walks in the park (which I've mentioned on the blog before and still love to do), but on the weekend I get to be more creative. And lucky for me, there is never any shortage of things to do here, so planning active adventures that I am motivated to do is no challenge. May seem a little backwards, but I look forward to doing more hiking and outdoor activities in the winter than I have during the warmer months. Although, I may eventually need to get some better shoes and a warmer coat if I want to keep it up...

No comments:

Post a Comment