Thursday, November 5, 2009

Boo!

Halloween this year came and went for me without much notice. As much as I love anything to do with fall and pumpkins and seeing kids and animals dressed up in cute outfits, I've never been that into celebrating the holiday myself (well, except for in college, but that is mainly because festivities on Franklin Street were kind of an obligatory part of the UNC experience :) ). And, being that Halloween is a Western tradition, it's not such a big deal to Koreans either. Yes, many English language hagwons held Halloween parties where the younger kids had the opportunity to go trick-or-treating-- even my own students, who are between the ages of 14 and 17, mind you, came up to me in the halls yelling "trick or treat" and hoping for candy-- and many young people, both foreigners and Koreans, who frequent the Itaewon and Hongdae bar scenes in Seoul did dress up in costumes for a night of celebration and bar hopping. However, aside from these instances where Western and American culture is "in," Halloween is not generally celebrated in Korea. Which is fine by me.

However, when I saw this pic of a friend of mine from the States who dressed up as an Asian tourist, I just had to post it.


So on point-- captures the stereotype perfectly.

Made me wonder if anyone here in Korea has ever dressed up as a Western tourist for Halloween, and what exactly that costume would entail. Based on what I know of Korean stereotypes about Americans, I imagine they might don a nasty pair of flip-flops, a worn-out backpack and a rather sizable beer gut...

No comments:

Post a Comment