Monday, April 12, 2010

HAITI

There is not a single person I know who was not rocked by the news of Haiti's January 12th earthquake.


As updates about the extent of the devastation in Haiti filtered out to the world, we were all overcome with heavy hearts for the people of that nation. The horrifying images and stories that emerged were made all the more heart wrenching knowing that the poverty and destitution left in the earthquake's wake was not a far cry from the kind of abject poverty in which many Haitians have long been living. And despite the fact that the news about Haiti has begun to fade into the background of our world's media consciousness, this burden on the hearts of the world community to meet the needs of the Haitian people persists.

In response, I have decided to take a few months off from Korea to go to Haiti and offer what I can to the relief efforts there. I have secured a volunteer position working with internally displaced women, children and youth living in camps Pinchinat and Kay Wolf near Jacmel. I am scheduled to begin work this coming September.

If all proceeds as planned, I will be coming home from Korea at the beginning of August to prepare for my trip. I will leave for Port-au-Prince on August 30th and begin working September 1st at the IDP camp. I hope to save and raise enough money to be able to stay in Haiti for at least 3 months. I then plan to return to South Korea in January 2011.

As we all well know, Haiti cannot currently afford the cost of hosting the many volunteer workers that they so desperately need, so it is going to cost over $4000 out of pocket to make this trip possible. Though this amount looms large alongside its July 1st deadline, I am confident that through hard work, pinching every penny, and the generosity of others, this goal is achievable.

If you are able and feel moved to do so, I invite you to partner with me by offering your financial support. Even if you can only give a dollar or two, every little bit goes a long way, and by working together in this we can each play a small but vital part in helping the people and nation of Haiti to regain their strength, health and security. (Please contact me at mary.hooke@gmail.com if you are interested in giving or learning more-- Or click on the button below to make a secure donation through PayPal.)




I have spoken to many friends and family members who would LOVE nothing more than to be able to go themselves and offer support and aid in response to this crisis, but who for various reasons have ties that prevent them from being able to pick up and leave home for months at a time. I realize that I have been given a HUGE gift in the degree of freedom and flexibility available to me right now, and I want to honor you all, as well as our world community, by making good use of that gift.

To those who have been reading this blog for the last 9 months, I also want to take this opportunity to thank you for following along with me on my journey so far. The support of my friends and family has meant the world to me throughout my time overseas, and I want to let you know, in case you didn't already, just how much I value your thoughts, prayers, letters, care packages, and emails. Knowing that you are there for me and that you still go out of your way to show me that I am loved despite the distance between us has meant more than you will ever know. You have inspired me to continue the adventure and, more importantly, to take the love that you give and pay it forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment