Monday, May 10, 2010

Happy Parent's Day/ Mother's Day!

Parent's Day in Korea and Mother's Day in the US happen to fall on the same weekend. Parent's Day, as you might have guessed, is essentially like a Mother's Day and Father's Day rolled up into one, and follows only a few days after Children's Day. On Parent's Day, children and adults alike typically present their parents with a gift and a carnation each.

Right now, it is still Mother's Day in the U.S.-- a day I have been looking forward to for the past few weeks. This morning I surprised my mother and grandmother with a video gift of myself singing a traditional Korean song that I have been working hard to learn. (Woohoo! Korean lessons paying off!) I thought of posting the video here, but my rendition is really something that only a mother's ears could love. Instead, I've posted the lyrics and translation below... translates a little awkwardly, but is really a beautiful song and a sweet tribute to a mother's self-sacrificial love.

*Transcript and translation:*


낳실제 괴로움 다잊으시고

She forgets all her pain when she gives birth

기를제 밤 낮으로 애쓰는 마음

She does everything to raise me day and night

진 자리 마른자리 갈아뉘시며

She always finds a warm dry place for me

손발이 다닳도록 고생하시네

She goes through so much hardship in her life

하늘아래 그무엇이 넓다하리요

What would be greater under the sky

어머님의 희생은 가이없어라

Her sacrifice is limitless


P.S. Shout out to my three AMAZING best friends who graduated from UNC today!! Julia, Jamie, and Freda-- so proud and excited for you girls! You are my role models-- can't wait to witness all of the amazing things you are going to do with your futures. The world has no idea what's coming... :) Love, with all my heart!

2 comments:

  1. Mary I wish you were here so I could invite you to my birthday party!!!!!!! I miss you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Em!! I'll take you out for a belated birthday celebration when I come home in August... 2 and a half more months!

    ReplyDelete