Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Book Reccomendation for Travelers

It's midterm time at Choji Middle School, which means I have an unusual amount of free time on my hands. And taking this reprieve as encouragement, I have finally gotten around to reading The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton-- a book that has been collecting dust on my shelf for quite a while but that ended up requiring no more than one subway ride and half a morning to finish.


"A jewel of civility, wit and insight; de Botton has produced wondrous essays. An invitation to hyperbole.... A volume to give one an expansive sense of wonder." -The Baltimore Sun


I'm glad I picked this book up-- it is thoughtful, entertaining, and philosophically rich. There are certain passages, especially from essays titled "On the Sublime," and "On Possessing Beauty," to which I'm sure I will return again and again. For any person who has the spirit of a traveler or artist, or who wonders what it might be like to discover enthusiasm and joy in both the fantastic and the everyday, this is a book well worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment