Thursday, March 11, 2010

Spring Flower Envy


The weather in Korea is KILLING me right now.

A couple weeks ago we had a few really beautiful days. I went out in a t-shirt, went for a walk in the park, and sat outside to journal and read. It was aaaaamazing. It made my heart extremely happy to be able to enjoy clear, warming weather, and know that spring was well on its way.

As soon as I expressed my happiness to my Korean friends, however, I was immediately warned not to get too attached. They described a phenomenon which Koreans refer to as "Spring flower envy," in which the winter begins to fade but becomes envious as the spring flowers start to bloom, and so comes back with a vengance to get in one last big punch before finally conceding defeat. This year, that meant another snowfall, with ice and slush once again covering the streets.

Apparently, this kind of pattern is really common in Korea, but it is nonetheless really depressing for me. As a born and raised southerner this has been the coldest winter I have experienced in my life, and I can now tell you that while I do love snow, I am officially NOT a fan of the cold. Besides, with Christmas and New Years having gone by, the thrill of winter-iness has long passed, and I am more than ready to feel the sun on my face and be able to wear skirts and sandals again.

No comments:

Post a Comment